Cycle Patrol Unit
- Hits: 7681
The Cycle Patrol Unit was introduced in the ZRP in August 2003 and was the brainchild of the then Commissioner General of Police Comrade Doctor Augustine Chihuri. The main thrust behind the establishment of such a Unit was to reduce criminal activities in the cities and towns,streets, roads and avenues.
The Unit was commissioned by Cde. Dr. Chihuri at Morris Depot on the 14th of November 2003. The pioneer project commenced with 55 riders, five of whom were ladies and were deployed in Harare and Bulawayo.
The joining of the Police Cycle Unit is on a voluntary basis.
Recruits undergoing initial police training are co-opted for Training and after passout are deployed to undertake Cycle Patrol Unit duties.
The ZRP is now a member of Zimbabwe Triathlon Association and Zimbabwe Cycling Association. These association give expert advise in terms of training, dress order and acquisition of appropriate cycles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF CYCLE SQUADS
- Patrol cities and to attend scenes.
- Maintain police presence.
- Arrest any person found committing or reasonably suspected to have committed an offence.
- Record statements and taking particulars of witnesses, the injured or deceased before handing over the case to the station whose area is being patrolled.
- Control road traffic and arrest traffic offenders.
- Taking all steps which on reasonable grounds appear to be necessary for preserving the peace.
- Prevent and detect crime.
- Building and maintaining public relations.
- Protect property from malicious injury.
- Stop and search any person suspected to be carrying stolen property and the seizure thereof.
- Enforce City By-Laws.
- Check houses under police supervision.