- Hits: 7761
Tourism Police Unit was established in 2004 as a community policing initiative to proactively deal with crimes perpetrated against tourists. The Unit was first launched at Victoria Falls as a pilot project but it has since cascaded to other tourist resort centres like the Great Zimbabwe Monuments, Chinhoyi Caves and Kariba Dam.
Tourism Police officers are also found in all the country's entry and exit points and identifiable through their reflective vests inscribed ZRP Tourism Police Unit.
Objectives of the TPU
- To reduce fear of crime.
- To offer immediate assistance to tourists.
- To provide safety and security to tourists.
Activities of the TPU
- Patrolling areas most frequented by tourists.
- Arresting illegal money changers and curio vendors harassing tourists.
- Giving directions to tourists.